Heart Safe Campus
The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities is a Heart Safe Campus, with nearly 200 automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and more than 350 trained responders. CPR education on campus helps train or refresh the skills of more than 525 students and staff annually. The campus also is located near post-sudden cardiac arrest facilities, like the University of Minnesota Medical Center Fairview on the east and west bank.
AEDs can be found in many academic buildings on campus. All UMPD police vehicles also carry an AED. Click on the link to view the locations of AEDs.
Requesting an AED, Batteries or AED Pads
Requests for AEDs, AED batteries or AED cabinet batteries, and AED pads can be made through DEM by sending an email to: email@example.com.
AED Placement Guidelines
1. AEDs must be placed in a location that is accessible to all individuals.
2. AEDs must be secured in an approved AED cabinet with an audible alarm that will sound when the door of the cabinet is opened.
3. The placement location must be well-marked, publicized and highly visible among trained responders.
4. The Public Safety Emergency Communications Center must be notified of all AED placements allowing 911 operators to guide callers to the nearest AED.
5. It is preferred that signage be visible at entrances advising persons that there is an AED on site. Signage must be easily read and legible upon entrance to a structure.